Thursday, February 1, 2007

Diet Logs are mandatory

My father joined me in my low carb efforts several months after I embarked on my diet. I set up an online food log for him, but he refused to use it.

Despite dieting alongside me, he has not reached his weight goal. (And he had far less to lose than I!) I've told him time and again that he must log his food if he expects this diet--or any other--to work for him.

He is stubborn.

Do not be like him!

Even for dieting omnivores it can be a challenge to keep track of and control carb intake each day. For we vegetarians who get the bulk of our protein bound up with carbs, it's all the more demanding. I cannot imagine successfully managing my carb and protein intake without the help of a tool that logs my meals. (Watch me lug my cumbersome laptop on vacations to do exactly that and you might believe me: the logs become indispensable.) You could, of course, do this by referring to food charts in books and using a simple notebook or spreadsheet. If, however, you're comfortable with the Internet, you may as well take advantage of one of the free diet tracking services available. Among those I see mentioned in a simple google search are Nutridiary, Sparkpeople.com, and Fitday.

Of those three, I've only used Fitday, but the other two may also be great. The free online version of Fitday allows you to view and update your daily log anywhere you have access to the Internet. It also allows you to track your weight, mood, and enter a small journal entry daily if you like.

I use the non-web-based version of Fitday because it's easier and more flexible than the online log. If I met the programmers who wrote this program I would personally hug each of them. I could not have dieted successfully without this wonderful tool.

Again I warn you: do NOT attempt a low carb vegetarian diet without logging your foods. Don't even think about it.

No comments: