Thursday, February 1, 2007

Dealing with limited time

Ahhh, for those easy days when eating involved ripping open a box or bag, twisting a few dials, setting a timer and waiting for my warm tasty food to come to me... Let's face it, there just aren't many low carb vegetarian convenience foods on the market. There are, however, a few things you can do to save time. If you eat hard-boiled eggs buy an egg cooker right now. I fooled around with the egg-stractor and a hand tool from Japan designed to help peel eggs before I gave in a bought the egg cooker. The hard-boiled eggs made in the egg-cooker peel fast and easy every time--no more digging painfully at egg shells and losing half the flesh of the egg to a stubborn section of shell.

String cheese is another easy low carb option. And I heartily recommend Atkins shakes. Everyone in my family--except me--prefers the Chocolate Royale. I prefer the Chocolate Delight and the caramel. Easy quick meals. Give them a try.

NexGen muffins available from CarbSmart are convenient delicious treasures.

Pickled asparagus is a low-carb veggie ready to eat right from the jar.

Shirataki noodles--just cut the bag open and drop them in a colander for a good rinse in the sink. While they're being rinsed, grab your low-carb marinara and some parmesan and put them in a bowl. Now your noodles are probably ready, heat up the whole thing in the microwave and enjoy. I use this meal after long busy work days.

And hey, it's also relatively fast and easy to fry an egg or two. No, it's not as quick as dumping 2% milk on a bowl of corn flakes, but it's still not overwhelming.

If/when you decide to tackle low-carb recipes, consider making double or triple batches and storing the leftovers in the freezer. You will thank yourself later! The recipes I've found that freeze the best are the pizza, the mockafoni, the enchiladas and the soup.

No comments: