Saturday, February 3, 2007

Dealing with Stalls

Okay, look, stalls happen. Understand they're only temporary. I know, I know, that's easy to write, not so easy to live. There are a few things I've done that seemed to shake off stalls: hot baths with vigorous skin defoliation, sleeping in late, extra exercise and, peculiarly enough Tazo's Berryblossom White tea. I suspect most of these are unique to me.

For women who haven't yet hit menopause, please just expect to retain water and times and know that you likely are still losing weight, the scale simply doesn't reflect it.

It may also help you to know you're not alone with your stall. I doubt there's a dieter anywhere that hasn't run up against this ugly, stubborn wall. Oftentimes it seems to happen just when you're feeling worst. I know that for me stress is a triple-whammy that makes me feel lousy, makes me want to overeat and also dumps cortisol into my bloodstream making it all but impossible to lose body fat. Not fair in the least, but hey. That's life. To combat the stress, try to laugh, get more exercise, and sleep as much as you can.

But most of all, actively practice patience. It's your best weapon--an unbeatable one really--against a stall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sigh... I should probably not include this particular stall-buster, but a wise supervisor of mine shared a technique with me that she has never seen fail: limit yourself to nothing but eggs and grapefruit for a day. In the case of strict low-carb dieting this would mean no more than one or one and a half grapefruits and a bucketful of eggs, but it might just do the trick. One never knows. Be sure to take your multivitamins

No comments: