Friday, February 2, 2007

Dealing with Irregularity

Not everyone has the problem of digestion slowing waaaaaay down at times during low carb, but I have experienced it. I've read this can be related to too much dairy intake, so the first remedy you might look toward is cutting your milk product consumption a little--or a lot. You can also consider increasing your intake of some of the laxative sugar alcohols like maltitol and sorbitol. That wouldn't be my personal top choice, but for some it works great. Other dieters like fiber supplements such as psyllium or ground flax husks. I've found regular exercise helps keep things normal most of the time. And some people get great results by taking a daily magnesium citrate supplement.

Peculiarly, I did find that coffee--both regular and decaf--can help in this area, but that may be something unique to my physiology.

What I've found doesn't help? Big gluts of water. Your experience may vary, of course, but the cups of water I gulped to combat irregularity only resulted in a painfully full bladder and unnecessary bathroom breaks.

Again: keep in mind my physiology may differ significantly from yours.

No comments: